Sunday, January 25, 2009

DECISIONS DECISIONS

I could not decide what to write about this week...as each day went on, another subject presented itself...The Biggest Loser! The Inauguration of President Obama! Meaghan's Dance Show "Wonderscape"! Climbing Stairs and Eating Cheesecake! Clogging Workout! Dylan Travels to Reno! Prayers For Bobby!

Met at Dennice and Austin's house on Saturday to weigh in for the first installment of our very own Biggest Loser...the weigh in was the reason I almost didn't do it! I had to get on a scale and reveal to my son's adorable tiny athletic girlfriend just how much I really weigh...and it was 2 pounds more than it had been 2 weeks prior at the Doctor's office! What the? At this rate, I could weigh 8 pounds more at the next weigh in!

President Obama - I will choose HOPE instead of FEAR! And I thank you for the reminder. You and your family will be in my prayers daily as you lead and sacrifice for our country.
Aretha - YOU were AMAZING! You can bring it and you brought it! Even with your unfortunate breath-break in the second word you were singing...POWERFUL! And your hat, girl!
Rick Warren - your speech/sermon that you called a prayer was...well lets just say it was. Over. Done. Forgettable. So lets forget it now.











Meaghan my little red shoe-shakin-peppermint swirl you...ADORABLY WONDERFUL! How I LOVE watching you perform! You bring a smile to my face and to the faces of all that watch you dance! And ....you wear your sponge rollers and ribbons well!












My stint as the back stage dance room chaperone mom was a thrilling experience! My charges were 50 teenage girls jacked up on the rush that is opening night. They were loud, cute, respectful, talented, naughty, beautiful, young, and did I mention loud? I loved every one of my 210 minutes with them...

I have been climbing the stairs at work for the last two weeks. I work on the third floor, and it is two flights of stairs per floor...2 X 2 = 4. Thank goodness it is simple math. Four flights of stairs to get to my office. Hate it. But I am doing it. Hey...who handed me this piece of cheesecake? Okay..I am only going to take one bite to be polite. One bite. Or two. Or all of it. Okay, I didn't eat the whipped cream topping or the crust. Where the heck are the stairs?

OFF and ON for the last 5 years I have been CLOGGING. My purpose in doing so has been to get some exercise in a fun, non threatening environment. Currently I am ON, and so far (two weeks) it has been fun and non threatening. And sweaty.

My Dylan left at 2 AM for Reno for the Western Fair Association Showcase with Brian Bon and Right now they are in a snowstorm driving 20 miles an hour with chains. At this point I just want them to get there and back home safely. And if POWERHOUSE!!! books some shows at the showcase, then that is the icing on the cupcake! Who said cupcake???


I watched Prayers for Bobby last night on Lifetime. What a brave woman Mary Griffith is to tell this story. A story of how she loved her son but did not accept him for who he was, and how he ultimately took his own life by jumping off a bridge into oncoming traffic below. I wonder what affect this movie might have had on the outcome of Prop 8 had it been aired prior to the election. I am not sure. I do know that my commitment to my gay son, my gay friends, gay youth and the gay community is stronger than ever after watching the movie. Because there continue to be Mary and Bobby Griffth's out there; Bobby's contemplating taking their own lives, feeling hopeless and alone and Mary's not accepting their own children and about to lose them forever. My arms are open to all of them. Even though these mothers, these families cannot and do not accept their own children, they do not deserve to lose their children. So I will continue to fight to save these young lives and bring them hope, for those mothers that can't bring themselves to fight for them.

www.thetrevorproject.org

No comments: