Wednesday, February 25, 2009

REAL Friends



"No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow."-- Alice Walker


I have often said "I know lots of people, but I have very few REAL friends." This statement was confirmed for me today when I opened an email from a very old 'friend'.
A person that I have known and cared about for over 30 years that seemingly finds it too difficult to listen to my hopes, dreams, passions, fears, joys, sufferings, concerns...and would prefer I be silent. A person that appears to be frightened by my growth and the growth of others. A person that has allowed this fear to stunt their own personal growth. A person that seems unable to accept me - the me I have always been and the me I have become - the real me.

The email from this 'friend' caused me to think about who my REAL friends are. Those that pick me up when I am broken, love me without condition, provide a shoulder for my tears, love my children as their own, accept me completely and unconditionally for who I am (no matter how embarrasing I may be!)We have wept together and laughed together. We know each others strengths, weaknesses and secrets. These REAL friends have walked in front of me, behind me and beside on my journey of growth. My REAL friends, allow me to be myself. The person I have always been. The person I have become. Me.

It is the phone call, the email, the text message or hug that comes at just the moment I need it most. It is being secure in the knowledge that I can make a fool of myself and they will still love me. It is the smile that ALWAYS appears on my face when I hear their voice. My REAL friends.

My REAL friends are my water and sunlight. I need them to grow and thrive. Their presence in my life is a blessing to my soul. Thank you friends. REAL friends. You mean more to me than you will ever know.

"My father always used to say that when you die, if you've got five real friends, then you've had a great life." Lee Iacocca




No comments: