Sunday, February 8, 2009

Evan James Wallace


My son Evan just completed his final theatrical performance of his college career. He portrayed an uptight-anal retentive-nerdy bookworm-book publisher-upper middle class-middle aged husband and father in Edward Albee's "At Home At The Zoo". I know I am his mom, but he was truly amazing in his performance.
Actually, he has been remarkable and amazing in every performance. From his early days of theater in elementary and middle school (MacBeth, Lucky Dollar etc) to his community theater performances (Paper Boy, Borders Explorer, Romeo etc) to high school (Working, The Odd Couple, Laramie Project,Wizard of Oz where he was the greatest Lion since Burt Larr) to his days with Disney as a character and host (Pluto, Tweedles, the Story Teller and more) to college (Fuddy Mirrors, Formicans, Laramie Project, Valley Song, Little Shop of Horrors, Homebody Kabul, Laundry and Bourbon...)
He acts, he sings, he writes, he directs. He is amazing.
His final performance was a bittersweet moment for me. Enjoying the performance immensely and yet when the reality hit that this was the last time I would see him on stage before he graduates, I was overcome with emotion. I wanted to hold onto the moment as long as I could. Remember it. Cherish it.
As I reflect on his acting career, I can't help but smile. He has brought great joy to our family and to countless audience members. His thought provoking, inward looking performances have also brought me to tears on more occasions than I can count. And ALWAYS he brings us to our feet!
Now I am looking forward - to Evan's future - where I seen nothing but bright lights and applause.
Evan, you are an amazing actor, but you are so much more than that. You are a fine young man and the most wonderful son any mother could hope for. I love you.
Break A Leg!

No comments: