Monday, November 24, 2008

It's Twilight Time!


I am a Twilighter. Or a Twilight Mom. Or maybe I am just crazy. Maybe. My 16 year old daughter Meaghan encouraged me to read the Twilight book series and I agreed thinking it would be an excellent mother/daughter bonding activity. And it did not disappoint. I have read all four books in the Twilight series, and I am dying to read the latest installment, Midnight Sun. Currently I am reading yet another Stephanie Meyers book, The Host. What can I say. I am hooked. Thank you Meaghan!

Last Friday night, I waited in line at the theater with Meaghan and about 300 of our closest friends to watch Edward, Bella, Jacob, Jasper, Emmet, Alice, Carlisle, Esme and the rest of the assorted vampires and er-humans come to life (well, not technically since they are vampires) on the big screen!
In line with us were females of all ages (and a couple of males)...from elementary age girls to women older than, well, older than me! Those on the best dressed list were wearing a variety of tee shirts, sweatshirts and baseball caps, all Twilight inspired, complete with images of Edward and the Cullens. "Bite Me", "Vampires Are Forever" and "Team Edward" are just a few of the slogans adorning practically every person in line!
Once we finally entered the inner sanctum of the theater house and were seated, our excitement escalated. Butterflies. Even some tears. Meaghan and I held hands and nervously nibbled popcorn and hot tamales and sipped diet coke and water. Our legs were shaking, we couldn't sit still, and we were perspiring! After a short yet spirited round of the "Team Edward vs Team Jacob" chant and a less than stellar string of movie trailers, it was Twilight time!

And then it happened.....we turned into...whoo girls. Each time a beloved character appeared on the screen we let it out ..."Whoo!!!!" with our arms thrown in the air! And when the man-boy-vampire hotty himself, Edward Cullen (portrayed by the one and only Robert Pattinson) walked by the school cafeteria window, the sound in the room was deafening. We melted at each close up. Each time he stared into our eyes, I mean Bella's eyes, we grew weak.
And I wanted to scream out to Edward..."Bite Me! Bite Me Hard!"...what? Oh, right. I did scream that. Loud. To Edward. The fictional vampire of my dreams.

I AM a Twilighter. I AM a Twilight Mom. And I AM just a little bit crazy. But most of all I AM blessed. Blessed to be the mom of a 16 year old girl that loves Edward Cullen and asked me to read a couple books with her. I love you Meggie! xoxo



No comments: